Monday, September 21, 2009

Recent Thoughts

So much has happened in the last ten months or so, and this blog has only been in existence for a week or less, so allow me to intermix the past with the present until I can get everything I want in writing.

Today I want to record a few recent thoughts. First, a few days ago, I was around a number of people--some I hadn't seen in a long time. One gal asked if I had two kids and then said, "Or is it one?" I said I have Isaac and was actually pregnant earlier this year and lost the pregnancy which was followed by, "So I have two kids, but one living." Of course this ensued the "ohh's" which made me go into more detail. However, it was just weird--"it" being the conversation. And all I can say to explain this is that I felt like it had been so long since I talked about Angelina to those who had no idea that I didn't know how to talk about what we went through. "Weird" right? I concluded that it just wasn't the right setting to go into great detail or length.

Secondly, we were challenged as women in our church to complete the new Young Women value experiences and project for "virtue." I was really excited about this and gladly took on the challenge. At the start of this challenge I was really struggling over the fact of how much I missed Angelina. There are times that I think, "I should be holding a newborn baby right now," or when I see baby clothes and think of my baby girl in them or even when I see others having to take care of crying babies and wishing that was me. You have no idea how much I yearn to have another child right now, and again, perhaps that is part of my trial. So I continue to exercise faith in the Lord's will and timing of all things. An aspect of having a child on the other side of the veil is that I pray daily to feel her influence in my and our family's life. At this particular time, Angelina was constantly in my thoughts...I really needed a "lift me up." So this challenge from our church couldn't have come at a better time.

One of the value experiences had us read in 2 Nephi 32:1-5. In verses 2 & 3 it reads:

"Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? ... Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do."

I cannot even tell you how welcoming and inspiring these verses were to me on that particular day--and still are today. I know that I can speak to Angelina and feel her spirit and influence on this side of the veil through the gift of the Holy Ghost. What a reminder these verses were to me to live in a way that keep me worthy and righteous to keep that line of communication open with my baby girl.

A few days after that experience, I finished the "value experiences" and began the "value project" which is to read the entire Book of Mormon. Again, I saw the Lord's hand work miracles in my life.

I started in the very first chapter and in the very first verse. In that verse it reads, "...and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days..." I have read this verse many times and never has this line stuck out to me before. In reading a book titled "Doctrinal commentary on the Book of Mormon," I came across this reference to the aforementioned verse:

"Life was not intended to be easy. The path of righteousness, that course leading to eternal life, is ever an upward climb and hence uninviting to many. Nephi saw afflictions and blessings as compatible companions. Surely anything that brings us nearer to God is a blessing."


This commentary coupled with the verse in the scriptures also hit me like a ton of brick, because I 100 percent agree with it. We knew when we went through everything that we would accept the Lord's will. We knew that. And I believe that because we allowed the Lord in our lives at a very hard and difficult time, we saw many blessings along the way. This commentary has become a new "motto" for me, if you will..."Surely anything that brings us nearer to God is a blessing." ...perhaps that is something I can always say now when I talk about Angelina.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Val, what a blessed child Angelina is and what a great example you are to me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Valerie for your inspiring words. You have always been a light in my life the minute we meet. You have so much courage and faith. I loved the few minutes we had on the phone today. I called back and Taylor said you were busy. Call me sometime soon. I really miss you and your friendship. I love you!! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, I was referred to your blog from our mutual friend, Anne. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I think it is important for people to be aware of issues related to fertility, miscarriages, and heartbreaking situations such as yours. Thank you for sharing your faith and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely amazing to me. You have such strength and courage. I'm so excited for you to be with Angelina one day. You are such an example to me. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie -

    Thank you for sharing your story. Although I can't relate to the details of your particular story, your attitude of hope and peace and joy has helped me in my own challenge of parenting a beautiful, bright child with mental health issues.

    Everyone has their own brand of challenges in this mortal sphere. I think this blog will help more people than you know. Thank you for sharing such a private part of yourself. We can all make it through this life as long as we help each other along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valarie thanks for starting this blog. As LDS people I think we hold such a special knowledge of the pre-existence, and spirit world that others have a hard time grasping. I am so glad you are willing to share it with everyone. I know that even though I am not a mother ,per se, yet, I am a mother by spirit to a few special souls that I feel in my life already. Me and my finance feel them all the time, and can't wait to have them in our lives. We are so lucky to have this experince because we have the holy ghost with us. Thanks for sharing, and I do understand when you say " I have two , but one is living"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your faith and insights, Valerie. As I have read through your experience, I feel that my faith and ability to withstand trials has been strengthened. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie: This post is so insightful and full of faith and so good for us to remember that afflictions and blessings belong in the same sentence. Thanks.........We love you....M&M McConkie

    ReplyDelete
  9. THis is beautiful. You have such strength to share such personal experiences. This insight will help me in my trials. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is all so beautiful! Thanks so much for making us all a part of it! we love you Val! We pray for you and wish the best for you guys, you deserve the best! Next time we are in colorado... we would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete