Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What do you say?

What do you say when someone asks how many kids you have? I say 'one' and I feel neglectful of the gift we call our guardian angel. I say 'two' and know I have to say, "two, but one living" and that always stops people in their tracks and either creates awkward silence which leads to having to tell the whole story or it does the complete opposite and is a conversation killer. The other question is when I am out and about and people look at Isaac and ask, "Is he your only child?"

I realize this may not seem like a big deal to many, but you have no idea how much I wrestle with this issue. I WANT to tell people I have two kids. I want to meet others who have been through the same or similar circumstances. But do you have any idea how awkward or hard it is to explain it? Shortly after we lost Angelina, I would tell people that I have two kids but follow it with "two but one living" because the questions that typically followed were, "Oh, how old is your second?" or "Where is your second child?" (because obviously they saw Isaac) etc...so to avoid the person from feeling weird or bad for asking, I would have to follow up with what happened and then it was a conversation killer. I know some may think, "just say two" but it is so much deeper than that, it's hard to explain. Angelina has forever changed our lives, I don't want others to think our life is back to "normal" now because it has been a few months, because let me tell you, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Valerie,
    I sent an email to you through facebook. I hope it gets to you alright.
    There is this song called "Baby Take Your Bow" By Chris Rice that I wanted to share with you.
    Keep your chin up. I have been crying, and crying as I read your blog...
    I can't imagine what you have gone through.
    You are so beautiful and strong Valerie.
    Thank you for sharing all of this.
    -Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that you are an amazing person with much strength. Though I have not lost a child this post stuck something in me. Somewhat the same as you but so different. I lost my brother to suicide 6 years ago and still to this day when someone asks me "How many sibilings do you have?" I pause and think to myself should I say 3 or 4, do I really want to tell this person I just met something so personal? A lot of times I just tell people I just met, I have 3 siblings and then in my head say 4. That way I don't kill the conversation, it's just not somthing I like to talk about. I'm sure it's not easy for you to talk about either. Just do whatever feels right. She will always be your child.

    ReplyDelete